Tuesday, August 24, 2004

movie week

i didn't realise just how many movies i saw last week until sherise kindly pointed it out.
Five.
In one week.
A new record for me i believe.
It started with Tuesday and The Bourne Supremacy (which i am giving 3 out of 5 stars)
Then Wednesday and Maqbool at the Indigo Film Festival (i had written a pre-event story for them, interviewing Indian directors Vishal Bhardwaj, who directed Maqbool, Santosh Sivan and Asif Kapadia). Maqbool is a Bollywood version of Macbeth. Very entertaining and a definite recommendation. If i had to review this I'd give it 4 stars
On Thursday, I was assigned to go review French film Les Choristes, The ChoirBoys. Very Mr Holland's Opus. Quite heartwarming, with a few gorgeous looking French boys. Am still deciding on the number of stars but should do pretty well.
On Friday, hmm... didnt see anything on this day. Instead had dinner at the singapore swimming club.
On Saturday, Fergus wants to go see Open Water. So we do. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Quite entertaining once they were in the water and after all the bits in the beginning was done with. (the first 1/2 hr or so was like watching someone's boring holiday homevideos. nothing much happens). It opens this Thursday, so I might as well just give my rating. 3 1/2 stars. It is, by the way, rated NC16 because of a bit of nudity.
On Sunday, the Tan family decides to go catch The Village. I'd been wanting to see it for a while, but my enthusiasm sorta died out when i read Newsweek's review. Mistake. I shouldn't have read any review, as is my usual policy. I hate someone's thoughts and opinions echoing in my head before I see the movie for myself. Anyway it was quite negative. Actually very negative. And the movie turned out to be better than expected. Some bits were still pretty damn silly when you think about it but it was generally ok. I think he had an interesting idea about isolation and innocence but he just wasnt able to carry it out thoroughly. I guess having made such a brilliant film in Sixth Sense, all his movies get ranked alongside that.

Unfortunately am these two weeks' night rep, so will be missing out on the previews for The Terminal and Saved! and luckily, Cinderella Story.

oh and he leaves Sunday morning. damnit.

No comments: