Monday, October 08, 2007

keeping it simple

Surmised
Opined
Shared
Remarked
Mentioned
Felt
Added
Thought

These are just some of the many ways to avoid using the word 'said'.
But sometimes, the word 'said' is far far better than any of these words. Especially when I've read 'opined' more than five times in five pages. And more than ten 'shared'. And I just spotted my third 'surmised'.

I'm working from home today as I've got no computer access at work yet. It gives me the chance to verbalise my irritation at this report writer's overuse of his thesaurus. It also lets me watch Will and Grace while having a nice salad for lunch (romaine lettuce, pinenuts, sliced button mushrooms, some Japanese yuzu dressing).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Opined'???? Geez...

Anonymous said...

mentally replace all those with 'gesticulated', and imagine truly bizzare gesticulations. makes stodgy report reading so much more fun!