Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Quick and the Way Behind

Despite what this blog's been looking like over the past few days (ie stagnant), I've been reading, and doing other things like having a DIY sushi party, but mostly reading. So here are some quick notes on the books that I've recently put down:

Things I've Been Silent About - Azar Nafisi
I wanted to like this book, as I remembered enjoying Reading Lolita in Teheran. But I didn't really connect with this book, and constantly kept picking up other books to read instead. There were some interesting moments, and I wished she had included more about her interest in reading as a teenager in England. I managed to finish it but would only give it 3 stars (out of 5).

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami
First off, I am not a runner. Yeah I used to do some jogging but that has fallen by the wayside. But Murakami made me want to go for a jog. And that says a lot. I don't think you have to be a runner to read this book, as he talks about how running keeps him writing (and vice versa). He insists that he's not a talented writer, but it's about hard work and determination, much like in training for a marathon (and he's done several!). It's a short read, but quite enjoyable.

Maus - Art Spiegelman
I don't know what I was thinking when I picked up Volume I and not Volume II. Perhaps it was because I was already struggling to carry the over-ambitious stack of books. But whatever, Maus is a definite must-read! Not just for its depiction of the war and the Holocaust but also for how Spiegelman presented his parents, especially his father, whose story this is.

No comments: