Sunday, May 29, 2005

some people put me to shame.

i met this guy at an event on Saturday. He's not only a career military man, he sails, teaches lindy hop, writes freelance for magazines and also writes fiction, is a husband and father of two young kids.

How does he find time to do all that? unfortunately I forgot to ask.

He gave me a lift out to civilisation from the yacht club (where the emcee kept saying, unfortunately, YAWCH club) and he told me about his joy seeing his work published in the Silverfish collection as well as online. He's trying to do more freelance writing for magazines and maybe the newspapers. He's been teaching lindy hop for about four years and goes sailing twice a month.

I'd mentioned about wakeboarding earlier so he asked if I still do that.

Er... not for a while now...

Lindy hop?

er... not since uni...

So what do you do?

Er.... I swim and jog and have been failing in my attempts to get a regular tennis game going...

And later, do you write fiction?

I used to....

Why did you stop?

Writing became my livelihood and it's hard to want to write when I get out of the office. (it's a lie really, i just have never the commitment to see something through)

iTunes is currently playing Snow Patrol's Ways & Means

3 comments:

huckerby said...

you used to lindy hop?

never fail to surprise me leh you, heheh. ;)

Anonymous said...

yah, such people put me to shame alright. They're such overachievers!

And yeah, i remember our lindy-hopping days and how we used to rush to class straight after lectures/tutorials!

uraraa said...

it's ok.. there are a lot of slackers in singapore. it just comes down to whether u really want to do sthg abt ur life or not? if u like it right now, dun have to be guilty. if u dun like, can still change wat! it's never too late!