Thursday, March 23, 2006

Going wild

I finally gave Wild Rocket a go, on Tuesday, which was probably the first rainy day we've had here for a while.

I was a bit surprised at the place. I knew it was ulu and all, but this was really tucked away.

Plus from the descriptions friends had given, I kept thinking it was a rooftop restaurant. And I couldn't see any al fresco area, except for these sad chairs under large umbrellas near the hostel's main entrance. (We later asked the waitstaff if there was anything on the rooftop and went up to the seventh floor to have a look. Nice view, would be quite nice for a drink at night.)

The restaurant was simply done up, with unfortunately, wooden chairs that weren't cushioned - and didn't make for lounging after a nice meal. The service was friendly and prompt, so that's always good.

We shared the tuna rocket salad - which had three thick slices of fresh tuna, seared just right, resting on a bed of rocket leaves, with a rather faint dressing. Liked it but now that I think of it, the dressing could've been jazzed up slightly. (For some reason, I'm recalling this rather citrusy dressing on a salad at Ember, but I believe that salad came with scallops).

I went with the braised veal cheek penne. Not too bad. Must say I've never been a fan of penne, preferring linguine/spaghetti or at the most fusili, but the braised meat was tender and tasty.

And to end off the meal, the dessert special of the day - a kueh buloh tiramisu. Thankfully it was tiramisu in a glass and not those blah sponge-cake like ones that seem to magically stand on their own. This one was not bad, not bad at all. Not too much mascarpone, the amount of coffee was alright (then again, I can always do with more coffee).

I was amazed that this place, not exactly conveniently located, was quite full on a Tuesday lunch hour. There was an assortment of diners - a table of Indonesian ladies, a table of local businessmen whom I'd expect to find in a Chinese restaurant not at this modern western/fusion one, a young couple in their early 20s, and some other table seated behind me I couldn't really get a view of. (Yeah I like to check out fellow diners, discretely, that is. The purpose of course is to find out what they're eating, and try to judge if it was a likeable dish.)


Wild Rocket
Hangout Hotel,
10A Upper Wilkie Road,
Tel: 6339-9448.
(Closed on Mondays)

No comments: