Thursday, March 16, 2006

How old?

I have a mild addiction to the -ist blogs. Oh you know those, the urban blogs, like Torontoist, Londonist, Gothamist. There are slightly less obvious ones like Miamist and Houstonist. But they've all got great links and interesting bits and pieces to save me from staring into space and allow my fingers and wrist some exercise while sitting on my ass staring at the computer.

This is a bit freaky, not in a horror-movie sorta way but still freaky.
The sleeping pill Ambien seems to unlock a primitive desire to eat in some patients, according to emerging medical case studies that describe how the drug's users sometimes sleepwalk into their kitchens, claw through their refrigerators like animals and consume calories ranging into the thousands.

Went to the xbox 360 launch on Wednesday. I suppose it was a bit wasted on me lah, being a non-gamer except for my brief obsession with The Sims sometime back. But you know, free beer. I like. So there I was in my green top (not thinking, I had worn green) with a green beer in hand, in the green-lit Red Dot Design Museum, being offered a cupcake with a green swirl on it.

After the party, dropped the car back home and met up with KT for a drink at the nearby Bullfrog where he decides to try a Black and Tan. But they don't do half-pints of that anymore, so he gives up that idea and joins me with an Erdinger. A Black and Tan btw is a Guiness mixed with an ale. And in this blog, I don't just tell you these things and leave it like that, I point you to other places where you can find out about more stout drinks, such as the black fog, and the miner's lung (don't you just want to know what that is). It is after all, Saint Patrick's Day.

I spent the next afternoon before work shopping for some presents. Spot a lot of things I'd like for myself but I am on a no splurges month because of the splurges in April, what with the Hawaii trip and the girls' (getting sloshed) weekend at Indra Maya.

Anyway for the first time ever, in two different stores in Far East, I get asked by the salesgirls: And how old is your friend? I wondered what they're expecting me to say. 70? 17? 7? I know they were just trying to be helpful. I was just a bit surprised lah. It's not like I was in the baby department and looking for clothes to fit a 14-month-old baby. I was looking for some stuff for some 324-month-old adults.

Listening: Wolfmother - Pyramid

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love black and tan. it's one of my favourite things.. along with raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens.

how ya doin, buddy? we should catch up soon. i have so much to report.

RealLifeReading said...

annabel! are you back in town? let me know when you are given permission to go out.