Thursday, July 19, 2007

Brighton days

And once again it's back to Brighton, where the sun is shining and the temperature is a lovely 14 degrees. But most of my time is spent in the flat or at the school library, nose in books, eyes glazed over after hours staring at the macbook.

The building's undergoing renovation, due to corrosion from the saltwater etc, so there's scaffolding all around, and horrible plastic sheeting blocking my view of the sea as well as the breeze! Workmen occasionally walk past, giving me a fright the first time. The work is slow going and according to a notice downstairs, has been delayed. Looks like it's going to be a while more before I get my view back. In the meantime, jet lag means I've been waking up before 7 and I use that time to get a walk/jog on the seafront, to breathe in lungfuls of fresh air and take in that gorgeous sea.

In spite of all that I've said about this place being slow moving, things have changed a little. The building down one of the lanes has been redone and is looking far less dodgy than when I first arrived (the doorways had to be boarded up to prevent people from sleeping there). The horrible roadwork on Lewes Road, however, is still clogging up the single lane traffic. But Brighton being Brighton, there's hardly a simmer of impatience. It's more like an 'oh yes, it's still there, but what can we do about it' kind of acceptance, I suppose.

I should post the rest of my pictures from the Singapore visit, which included a trip to Central to eat the Marutama ramen (although it seems like we should've ordered this one instead of the chicken one), and unfortunately, no pictures of the nice meal at Fabbrica at Dempsey, which had an interesting Spaghetti with Bottarga (dried tuna roe) and Caviar. I'll try to put them up soon, as soon as I contend with the rather vague outline I have for the dissertation, as well as the mountain of notes I lugged back from Singapore (ok I exaggerate, its more like two files' worth).

No comments: