Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Read: The Secret Life of Lobsters by Trevor Corson

This is a book with such heart. I couldn't help but feel for the lobstermen of Maine in their fight to save their livelihoods. I couldn't help but feel for the lobsters as Corson uncovers their surprisingly intriguing hidden lives.

And I couldn't help comparing it to a similar recent read of mine, The Sushi Economy: Globalization and the Making of a Modern Delicacy by Sasha Issenberg, which focused on tuna. Corson's book was so much more entertaining and compelling, mostly because he stayed with a set of main characters, unlike Issenberg's which flitted from one group to another. And it helps also that Corson found such passionate scientists and lobstermen to feature.

The Secret Life of Lobsters was a truly remarkable read. I never expected to like it as much as I did.

3 comments:

dimsumdolly said...

Yes, I loved the book! Had written a review some months ago too.

Trevor Corson said...

Hey Olduvai,

Thanks for the very, very nice words about The Secret Life of Lobsters, which popped up on my Google Alerts. I'm delighted you liked it so much.

If the Sushi Economy left you wanting more of a story of characters running through the whole book, I have written -- presto! -- a book on sushi, too:

The Story of Sushi: An Unlikely Saga of Raw Fish and Rice:
http://www.trevorcorson.com/sushi/book.html
http://www.amazon.com/Story-Sushi-Unlikely-Saga-Fish/dp/0060883510

It's a quite different book from Issenberg's. (Also a bit different from The Secret Life of Lobsters.) Hope you'll check it out.

All the best,
Trevor Corson

http://www.TrevorCorson.com

RealLifeReading said...

DSD - it's a great read!

Trevor Corson - Wow, thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave a comment! I already have The Story of Sushi on my TBR list and look forward to reading more of your books (btw, can we expect more?)