Sunday, August 23, 2009

What I read this week

Angel by Elizabeth Taylor
Angel is quite a nutter. She's infuriatingly absurd and so completely full of self-importance that I'm amazed I stuck through this book. Perhaps it's because Taylor paints her in such a marvellously funny, what-is-she-thinking? manner that this book was at the same time
irritating and such a delight. I never thought I'd ever say that.

Fables: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham
This is my year of graphic novels, having begun to read them more widely despite what at first seemed like rather meager offerings at my library. And this series is one that I am truly adoring! It is funny and imaginative and very accessible, although does have some adult content. I started out with 1001 Nights which had different illustrative styles so it was very refreshing. However, Legends in Exile is really the place to start, for this is the official first book in the series.

Eva Moves the Furniture by Margot Livesy

Although it could be a little creepy at times, Eva Moves the Furniture isn't really a ghost story. It is instead more about how Eva deals with her 'companions', who both hamper and help her as she grows up. Eva's story is sad and often lonely but it has its sweet joyous moments. It was quite a joy to read, and oh, the lovely writing!

(It was a good reading week. I hope you found some good reads too!)

No comments: