Wednesday, April 13, 2005

everything is illuminated

the book has been praised to high heaven by reviewers and authors.

Jonathan Safran Foer (both the author's and main character's name) is a writer who goes to the Ukraine to visit his Jewish roots and find the family that saved his grandfather from the Nazis. His tour guide and translator is Alexander Perchov, although Alex's translations are often a hilarious mangling of the English language. Three narratives run throughout the book, Foer's history of his family in the small village in the first half of the century, Alex's recollection of the time spent with Foer in the Ukraine, and Foer's attempt to understand the truth about his grandfather's past. This novel has generated many glowing reviews. The Washington Post says Everything is Illuminated "is madly complex, at times confusing, overlapping, unforgiving. But read it, and you'll feel altered, chastened -- seared in the fire of something new." (from www.reviewsofbooks.com)

i've just finished it and frankly, I wasn't all that blown away. I thought it was a bit much at times, like he was trying too hard.

It was unique and interesting, and did have some great lines (which I should try to add in here, once I get home and find the lines) and having been written by a man who is only two years older than me, (and winning some book prizes at that) is awe-inspiring.

But I am glad that I never bought the book, despite having fingered its pages several times at kino and borders. It would not do for a second read. It would not do to sit on my shelf, despite its eye catching cover.

Oh and Jonathan Safran Foer (don't you just love his name?) has a new book out, Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close, which according to The Atlantic, happens to be a little more contrived than his first.... I'll pick it up and flip its pages I suppose but I doubt I'm going to have it on my bookshelf, which doesn't really have anymore space in the first place)

No comments: