Saturday, April 09, 2005

library lament

i've been searching for a few books on the National Library website and not surprisingly, quite a few books are not available, or available only at certain branches.
There aren't that many branches in Singapore so I don't understand why they cant make the copies available at more branches, especially since it seems that it's only one copy per branch. Are we all supposed to wait around or is this some ploy with big bookstores.... fed up of waiting? We're just downstairs! (not this is nothing against a certain Japanese bookstore, because I"m a big fan of that place and purchase from there far more than at the American chain, which has several issues with its shelves and with its staff - including telling me that a book is not available and will take about 6 weeks if I order today, only for me to browse the shelves and find that exact book sitting in it's pretty little corner)

In addition, the lib's website could really do with an update. It could include new arrivals, recommendatons (and I'm not talking about romance novels here thank you). A very good example, although it's a bookstore and not a library, is Powell's in Portland, OR. Their website is such a trove for readers. A whole hoard of information from different magazines and newspapers on books, although far less glitzy than Amazon.com
It's newsletter is already fascinating enough. Don't say I didn't warn you - I can spend ages just browsing through their website.

Meanwhile, I do really appreciate the extension of the opening hours.
I mean, the Queenstown library used to open only at noon til 4pm on Sundays. Now that to me harks from a time when men with long hair and tattoos were closely watched by big brother.

So thank you, from a grateful reader, for finally realising that people don't only want to borrow books from the library during those four hours of a Sunday.

iTunes is currently playing Elliott Smith's Fond Farewell

2 comments:

Dawn said...

recommend more books pls. gd for pple like me. heh :)

Ivan Chew said...

Hi monomania,
I don't do the actual acquisitions of books so I can't speak for my colleagues who actually order the items. What I can say is if you feel that particular library should have a copy, please contact the branch by all means. We will check for things like no. of requests, no. of times it's circulated (to gauge actual usage). Why we can't have a std no. of copies for each library is bec. space (like parking space in S'pore) is a premium. :)

You can email me at weeping_sentinel@hotmail.com if you have suggestions for books ~ RamblingLibrarian