Sunday, February 27, 2005

I've just finished with Da Vinci Code, probably months after the whole world has read it, devoured it.

I can see why people love this pageturner so. It's exciting. It's about something that most people are familiar with - the Knights Templar and the Holy Grail and the mysteries surrounding this .. sacred chalice. Which turns out not to be a chalice. So it's quite intriguing and the pace is fast. Besides, doesn't everyone love a good conspiracy?

But I did not like the writing. He does not really bring out his characters well. I find myself not liking the protagonist very much, who seems to well, know too much. They are also stereotypical and definitely lacking in dimension.

Also, I thought a couple of things were a bit too obvious and it wasn't a "gasp omigod, I never knew that was coming" moment for me when it shold've been. Plus Dan Brown just leads us back one full circle, not really answering any questions that he brought up in the first place.

Maybe it's because of all the hype that I've finished the book disappointed. The way i've been told that others couldn't put it down, that people finished it in one sitting. I think it's gonna make a helluva movie, probably for Disney. (I'm not saying that Disney's making the movie, but it's just that the book seems to me very Disneyfied. Very simple, easy, mildly interesting, would probably make one great theme park ride)

But please, Tom Hanks as the lead??? disney i tell you, disney.

No comments: