Friday, January 30, 2009

In the Kitchen: Choc Oatmeal Cookies


It's taking me a while to get used to this oven. My family home in Singapore doesn't have a proper oven like this, but rather a combined microwave-convection oven, and I was used to how that operated. The one here in SSF is gas-powered I think, and the heat comes from the bottom. So I have to be extra careful with timings, as I didn't realise with my first batch of choc oatmeal cookies (thanks Bill Granger!), which had slightly overcooked undersides - I like them chewy and not too crispy, and these were too crisp. I had left them in for the stipulated 20 minutes, but nope, 18 in this oven is perfect, as my second lot demonstrated.

And cooking in a non-humid climate is just brilliant.

(Btw I quite like the new Picasa for Mac and its idiot-proof collage-making abilities).

No comments: