Wednesday, October 12, 2005

would you spit back?

He picked me up in his car, wearing a Linkin Park T-shirt.

My stomach did a double flip, not in the 'butterflies in your stomach' way, more like the 'better not be in the path of projectile vomit' way.

I was tempted to make him turn it inside out and wear it that way for the rest of the night.

But settled for averting my eyes and pretending to be distracted. A couple of drinks also helped take the blinding pain from my eyes.

Then just a few weeks ago, I had supper with a friend who had on a Korn T-shirt.........

......

A couple of weekends ago, after too many drinks during happy hour at Cafe Iguana, an ex-colleague admonished me for being too hung up on indie.
"Name me something mainstream you like" he asked
Er... erm.... hmmm....
"I mean, I think Beyonce has a great album. Can't you think of anything?"
Now I can't really remember if I'd said anything or how the conversation turned to something else, or for that fact, what it turned to. But I really never know what people consider mainstream anymore. I mean, I like old U2. Is that mainstream? Is U2 mainstream? Or is it just the new U2 that is?

I just like the music I like. I guess a teeny part of liking it is because it's not always played on the radio, which I never listen to, apart from the occasional snatches when in a taxi or a car, which probably add up to what, 1 hr a week?

I like it because it's good music, most of which have great lyrics. Better still if I get to see the band live, which puts a whole new perspective into their music.

I admit that I have a tendency to force my music tastes onto people, lending out CDs, burning copies.

Then I ask, so how? Didja like it?
Half expecting them to be a new convert, which of course will never happen.

Most of the time the answer is, yeah it's not bad. And then the conversation switches to something else.

These are friends so they're relatively forgiveable... but ..

Then I read this:

You have before you a wonderful, funny, smart, attractive person and you're ready to dive into the fray, intentionally collide your two worlds, and suddenly you realize that getting into that person's car means you're going to have to endure a mix tape with tracks from Smashmouth, Black Eyed Peas, and Phil Collins.


And it made me wonder...could I ever seriously date someone who loves Nickelback? Creed? Hoobastank? Good Charlotte? Or any other band in my "I spit on them" list, aka my "making my ears bleed" list? Enough to buy their paraphernalia? At this point of time, I'd say no. I'm willing to forgive past follies and would be appreciative if the guy would be willing to have a listen to what I like, just to have an idea of what I'm talking about when I say I want to go see Interpol in concert, and not have them ask, Interpol? As in, in benefit of the the largest international police organisation?

Ken Napzok ends off his rant with:

This is why it is such a beautiful thing when you can walk through a record store with the person you are totally crushing over and watch as they stop at all the sections you were going to stop at. Sure, there might be some differences, but that's OK. That's part of the whole difficult relationship "thing." Compromise does extend to the CD player. I'm just saying that when the genres sync up, when the interests and appreciations are on the same page, it is a wonderful moment. A sigh of relief. A breath of fresh air. One more reason to keep on searching for love in an iPod world.

Something to think about this week, maybe while I bake a cake tomorrow, and eat to excess this Saturday at the Gordon Grill (it's me dad's birthday) and next Saturday at Ember.

Listening to Snow Patrol - Downhill From Here

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You never pass me cds and ask if i like them. Anyways, i have complained to you several times that dating someone with the same music taste is never a good idea. Been through that and no matter how hard i try, bands like Saves The Day, Josh Rouse, Get Up Kids, Elliott etc doesnt sound the same. Gimme a Celine Dion fan anyday. at least she won't steal my CDs.

uraraa said...

hmm.. dunnoe how many grown up guys with a future (ie. not scruffy looking teenagers) really like indie stuff here??
u might wanna consider moving overseas:P

Dawn said...

or have you met the one who stops at all the sections you'd stop at in the music store? *GRIN*

(ok, I confess, I'm one of those "friends" who've said "yeah, ok.." to the music you've lent out. But I like Missy Higgins!)

Dawn said...

oh by the way, this is a bit of a deja vu...didn't you ever once go out with a guy who wore a linkin park tee as well?

aberwyn said...

Joshua Tree is good. Rattle n Hum is ok. It all went downhill from there. :)

RealLifeReading said...

mej - that's because my music collection is dwarfed by yours!! but yeah i know u've told me all that before... and one's tastes in music doesnt really define a person anyway...

caedmon - not yet!

aberwyn - heh exactly...

laur said...

i knew the date was over when i heard bits from turn on the bright lights on radio. So i squealed Interpol, and he said, what? Kidding. I think it's alright if someone was passionate about his own brand of music, not necessarily mine, since i can't define my music taste at all. But he's gotta at least be united in hate over the same music I hate - namely those splashed on your aformentioned band tees... my cds arrived! hope yours have too.

Anonymous said...

kind of like how i feel that no one likes old MGM musicals the way i do (ok ok, i can see you cringing already) but think of it as your sacred space, or like your USP or something. and yeah i wouldn't mind if u impose ur musical tastes on me, definitely would like to hear more types of music.

RealLifeReading said...

mel - k ... check your inbox! :P

bossanoville - still waiting. think deepdiscount has to dive into their archives for some of the stuff!
united in hate... exactly

Anonymous said...

That was a rant? I wrote that essay with a soft lilt in my heart.