Monday, August 22, 2005

apple of earth

Work ended late last night. Missed the second last bus at 2am, the next transport's at 315 and like hell i'm staying for that. So at 215 I find myself along Braddell Road, nary a taxi in sight.

Luckily one came along soon after and he was familiar with the Bt Timah area so I didn't need to bother with directions.

Finished reading (or more like skimming through) My Kitchen Wars - parts of it were interesting but other bits only worth a quick scan - before hitting the pillow, only to be woken up at 9am by an SMS.

Ouch.

After reading that article in The Observer, I decided to reduce my TV time! I'm very guilty of using the TV as background noise - I turn it on when I flip through the papers, read my books and magazines. And I definitely do way too much of that these days - veg out in the living room.

But I am weak... I cannot resist the temptation of that screen and the blaring noise and the crap that flows forth from it.

So I watched The Apprentice and Without A Trace. I managed to stave off channel-surfing, although when changing back from VCR mode to TV mode, it just so happened that Oprah was on.

Now I don't watch Oprah, it's just that she had just given away brand new cars to some people, who looked like ordinary folks, standing on the stage! I had no idea why they deserve a new car, but that Oprah sure knows how to win over her fans. Then she launched into a spiel about how fabulous this car was and I had to turn it off.

Before that while trying to stay away from the TV, I decided to make some potato salad. Hadn't had that for a while.

But as I was boiling the old new potatoes, I realised we were out of dill. I love that stuff in potato salads! Since the potatoes were already in the damn pot, I fished around in the fridge and discovered a lovely little jar of mustard, which even came with mustard seeds.

And decided, since I always make my potato salad with dill, mayo and salt and pepper, why not try something different?

So here's what I tossed in with the potatoes:
A teaspoon of mustard
Mayo
Some bits of jamon
Half a chilli, finely chopped
Salt and pepper

I would've taken a photo but
(1) I'm too lazy
(2) Camera battery's not been charged for a while
(3) I tend to write entries at work
(4) I don't think potato salad would show up nice in a picture

Anyway it turned out okay. Although would've been far better with bacon instead of jamon. And wanted to throw in some celery but couldn't find any.

Listening to: B Quartet's -

(And for some reason The Smiths' Panic has been stuck in my head for ages. I catch myself humming it from time to time...)

No comments: