Monday, August 08, 2005

feasting not fasting

I decided to cook some linguini carbonara today. While I've always been more of a tomato-based sauce person, I do occasionally like the creamy ones. And since I came across the recipe, which looks and is remarkably simple, I gave it a go.

So after stumbling out of bed at 1030 (horribly, I slept at 2 something) and a glass of Milo, I glared out at the window until the rain stopped and then ventured out to the bloody small NTUC near my house.

Besides buying pasta, it was my assigned task to buy fruits for tonight's fondue party at dimsumdolly's . Was meant to get strawberries, mangoes, kiwis, marshmallows. But the stock of mangos was pretty pathetic, gave it the onceover and decided it would be a waste of my time, money and stomach to buy them. But the strawberries from Australia looked pretty good so into the basket went two punnets, along with some kiwis and a bag of marshmallows.

I suppose I'll have to update this blog when I actually get back from the fondue pot baptism later!

Anyway, it was back home to cook my brunch.

I have no clue whether this is the right way to cook carbonara but it still tasted good to me!
Essentially, while the linguini or whatever pasta you have on hand cooks in boiling water, fry up some bacon and then throw in a garlic clove or two. Fry some more, just before it gets crispy. Toss the garlic. Crack an egg into the bowl you're gonna serve the pasta in, add some pepper.
Then drain your pasta, dump into the bowl with the egg and pepper, stir. The heat will sorta turn the egg into a sauce, throw in the bacon, and some grated parmesan cheese (and i don't mean the pre-grated stuff, which I can't stand). Stir, toss on some more pepper to taste, and if you must, salt. (bacon's already salty enough for me)

Then raise your fork, twirl the linguini on and enjoy!

All food needs music to be cooked along to. I was listening to Nirvana when fixing the linguini. Maybe it would taste different if I'd played something else...


Today's dl Ben Folds sings 'an old american standard'

Tags: ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmm carbonara. the way i did it once was to mix the egg with the cheese, return the cooked pasta to its pot after draining, then mix the pasta with the egg mixture and bacon (plus all the oil) in this pot. but i doubt it makes a diff, and as long as it tastes good, who cares? :>

RealLifeReading said...

mmmmm indeed! i cant wait to make it again!