Tuesday, August 30, 2005

the great book hunt

I was at Borders before work today, trying to find a present for my mum, who's turning 52 on Thursday. Was thinking of getting her a book on watercolour painting as that's what she's been up to these days, taking lessons and all.

Had checked out Kinokuniya last week but had been unable to find a suitable book.

So this time I found something. It was indeed a suitable book, a nice introduction, clean layout and full of good pointers, or at least it seems to me. So I flip to the back cover to check out the price and discover that the plastic coating of the back cover was peeling off. Quite unsightly.

I asked a sales staff for help. Very polite, very efficient so two thumbs up for service today. But he checked and told me that was the ONLY copy in the whole bookstore. I thanked him and browsed a bit more, having to resort to some other book which had some paintings by Vemeer. At least that book was intact.

I later wondered if he would put the damaged book back on the shelf or order in new stock.... Hopefully the latter.

Anyway, Kino's art section was so much better looking. Neat, well laid out, but somehow I just couldn't find that perfect book. (And anyway I ended up with a second-rate book so eh).

And I realised today that Borders has a far better cooking section than Kino, especially their food writing books. Kino pales in comparison there. And Borders often has a copy of the various cookbooks unwrapped, for browsing, unlike Kino which is just lined with plastic-wrapped cooking books.

Yet somehow I'd still rather buy from Kino, especially from the Lit section. Its just far more tempting to gaze at their bookshelves and spot something I've been coveting, especially during their storewide sales. Plus my sister's got the privilege card which gives a discount for books and magazines - always important.

But I must say, the service at Borders was a pleasure - polite and efficient and the gift was nicely wrapped. So bravo!

Reading wise, I picked up the two books I reserved from the library last week. Tender At The Bone and The Historian. And oh are they both turning out to be great reads! Especially The Historian - didn't want to put it down and go to sleep last night.

I had some time to kill so killed it at the Orchard library where I picked up Layer Cake by J. J. Connolly. which was made into a movie directed by Matthew Vaughn. Suppose I'll have to try to watch that, if possible, after I finish the book.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

oo..for once you got good service there...

uraraa said...

thanks for getting the book!!
yaay i love kino!.. cooking section? that's true though. but the japanese cooking section is the best!!

Anonymous said...

Interested. Keep Blogging!