Friday, November 04, 2005

overbooked again

So over the next three weeks I shall be busy reading:

Bret Easton Ellis- American Psycho
Nick Hornby- The Polysyllabic Spree
William Trevor - A Bit On The Side
Richard Perez - The Loser's Club
Oscar Wilde - The Picture Of Dorian Gray
Ruth Reichl - Comfort Me With Apples
Truman Capote - In Cold Blood
James Villas - Stalking The Green Fairy

I didn't mean to get so many... I only picked up the Ruth Reichl when I was in the cooking section, trying to get a look Rocco DiSpirito's cookbook. Next thing I know, Comfort Me With Apples lands itself right beneath my feet, what could I do other than pick it up and comfort it by putting it with the rest of the books in my 'to borrow' pile?

Besides, reading this will mean I've read all of Reichl's books (I think) and she's such a nice wholesome happy food read. No one comes close. I definitely didn't enjoy Mimi Sheraton's book as much as I've enjoyed all of Ruth Reichl's.

Anthony Bourdain is a different class altogether, he's the bad kid at the back of the class, the kind who saunters in late, sneaks cigarettes in the toilet, spends his afternoons in detention. James Villas (who is also once again on my reading list) is also another sort. He's the type who probably did better in the creative side, English lit maybe. Art even. I'm not sure yet. I've not read enough of him to be able to tell.

While I thought Nick Hornby did his best work in High Fidelity and not so well after, this one interested me for obvious reasons.

"A hilarious and true account of one man's struggle with the monthly tide of the books he's bought and the books he's been meaning to read''

Well, since I'm keeping this Saturday a nice easy one, to give my stomach a break from rich food and my liver a break from alcohol, this is an opportunity to overload on indie music and good books.

Listening to: The Decemberists' cover of The Ballad Of El Goodo

2 comments:

laur said...

ah, i have found one of the people who borrow up the good reads leaving me to reserve all my books ;) Enjoy! - I really enjoy Reichl's stuff, Garlic and Sapphires is great as well, and I am very taken by bourdain's conversational style. I can almost hear him talk and cuss when he writes!

RealLifeReading said...

well, in my defence, they were just sitting there all by their lonesome selves on the shelves at the central library! :)