Thursday, February 23, 2006

Dinner at the T Room

Met DSD for dinner on Tuesday at the Turquoise Room. It was 730pm and she was the only customer in sight. There were later to be 2 1/2 other tables of customers (I count one of the tables only as a half as they had just dessert and coffee). So when she said that she wouldn't write about it in her blog, (because I'd previously said I'd never write a review about my favourite Japanese place, wanting to keep it to myself), I told her she'd better, cos what if no one else knows about it and it closes down soon!

I'm not sure how new the place was but that was very few customers. Yes, it was a Tuesday night and maybe they do better business on the weekends!

And I do want this place to survive, because it's a darling cafe, reminiscent of cafes in the Bondi area, except that it looks out onto a forested area, instead of the sea. It's all in white, except for a wall with turquoise swirls. And the outdoor dining area is just a lovely, quiet place to have dinner or drinks and conversation, and occasionally, to look up and admire the stars above. Oh and those worried about mozzies, it was quite ok. I didn't get bitten and the staff lit some mozzie coils, which didn't stink up the place.

The food was simple, but good.

We shared a starter of bread and dips - three types of warm bread with a pesto dip and another of sundried tomatoes ($8). A little too much carbo for two girls, but then we had been expecting YC to come along after work, until a last-minute press release got dropped on her lap and she didn't leave the office until midnight.

With all that alcohol over the weekend, I decided to stick to cold water. And anyway their bottles were a bit steep, with only a few below $80. So I'd consider bringing a bottle of my own the next time - yes, there will be a next time!

I ordered the pork loin, which came wrapped with proscuitto and a slice of apple ($18). The extra layer provided a bit extra saltiness and sweetness at the same time - although I think they would've done better to have chosen a sweeter type of apple as it took me a while to figure out what it was. It came on a bed of asparagus, although they were the skinny type not those fab finger-sized ones.

DSD had the prawn and arugula linguini ($18) which was rather tasty although I thought it could do with a hint more chilli. Coincidentally I had made this for lunch, minus the arugula.

They seem to have a nice selection of pizzas and salads, as well as about six or seven other mains.

We ended the night with an espresso chocolate mousse, a rather small portion to share, but for one person, would be quite enough. It was good and had a hint of something we couldn't quite put our tastebuds on - lemongrass?
And this coffee fan just couldn't resist a flat white, although it was decaf cos caffeine kinda fcuks up my system if I drink it too late at night.

Service was friendly. (See I don't always complain about service!) And that's always good. Sitting outside means you might have to wave your hands around a bit to attract some attention but it's alright.

Also check out DSD's take on it

The Turquoise Room
7 Lock Road
Tel: 64733655

1 comment:

RealLifeReading said...

hey there, thanks for dropping a comment! T Room is such a lovely place isn't it!