Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Office thoughts

As Wake Up partyshuffled its way onto the iTunes, and as I waited for work to come in, I gave in to temptation and opened the jar of cookies on my desk. Its not a good idea to have cookies within reaching distance.

I have given up wearing mascara to work.

I always tell myself that I should stop borrowing books from the library and start on my growing pile at home. I can't.
I always fail.

The only way I can stop myself is to hand over the borrowed books to a kind soul (any volunteers?) to return them for me. So that I cannot step into the library and spot something I want to read.

I make lists of books I've read.
I make lists of books I want to read.
They're written on scraps of paper, in a small mauve notebook, on an excel spreadsheet, on a blog, and on Reader2.

I check the online catalogues before I hit the library, and write down those books available.

I request online for books to be reserved.

I read.

I read.

I seldom leave the house without a book in the bag. If I am to be on my own for the day, I make sure I have a book and I sip my latte and read. A book sits by my bedside table. More books sit on the footstool by my lounge-y chair. Books doubleline the 3 shelves from ikea and on top of those books are more books that don't fit into the shelves proper. I need a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf although that would mean I'd need a little ladder to go along with it.

Currently...
Listening: Ryan Adams and The Cardinals - Blossom
Liking: Having lunch with my sister (who was off on Wed) at home, where we had 1 1/2 pancakes with honey/golden syrup, grilled/fried shitake mushrooms, asparagus, tomatoes and sausages. There's nothing like breakfast for lunch!
Reading: delicious: days' fun with pink pasta
Just finished: Subbing tons of stories as I was one of only two text subs working on Wed

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you're my kind of girl... my hubby shakes his head in consternation everytime I get near a library or a bookstore, as leaving either place without a book or magazine in hand is tantamount to committing a sin as far as I'm concerned.. I'm thinking I pay more library late-return fines than anyone else I know (but just maybe, you pay more than me???? heehee)!

RealLifeReading said...

heheh. i carry more than one library card so i manage to spill over my fines. i usually can get away with it until my sister makes a complaint!
but you are right... it's almost a sin to leave emptyhanded. its just unbearable.