Thursday, June 29, 2006

Too many expectations?

Upon reading about this Myanmarese place in The Travelling Hungryboy's blog, I knew I had to go try it, mostly cos I was curious to see what it would be like.

I guess I was expecting it to be similar to Thai food - a little sweet, a little spicy, a little sour, in an explosion of tastes.

It was, however, quite different.

I ordered the nangyi thok, which was like chu mifen (thick vermicelli), in a dry chilli gravy with some chilli, strange fried bits, slices of hard boiled egg and coriander. It wasn't really hot, or spicy, or sour. It was a little blander than I thought, although squeezing some lime into it added more zing. I did like it better when eaten with the coriander too. However, what I wasn't too fond of was the odd powdery feel of the gravy, much as if lots of egg yolk was mashed up into it - I'm not that fond of the yolk of a hard boiled egg. It made me feel like I needed a gulp of water with each mouthful. The dish was interesting, but alas, I doubt I'd order it again.

MT ordered the traditional rice noodle in fish gravy which he said was like assam laksa. It came with some chickpea crackers, slices of hard boiled egg, coriander and banana tree stem. It too was better pepped up with some lime and chilli flakes.

We shared a Myanmar fried tofu - small triangles of fried tofu with a chilli dipping sauce. Not too bad.

As with the food, we were expecting the restaurant to be something else - a hole in the wall, small, cramped type of place. Instead it is large, spacious and with very efficient service.

Inle Myanmar Restaurant
Peninsula Plaza #B1-07


Have a look here for more on Myanmar cuisine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i wonder if their curry noodles, which i'm tempted to try next time, taste bland as well. hehe.