Sunday, December 23, 2007

Firsts

When I get back from the library, with a gleeful new stack of books, it takes me a while to figure out which book to begin with.

I like to open each of them and have a read of their first line or two.
So here they are:

"I would like to write down what happened in my grandmother's house the summer I was eight or nine, but I'm not sure if it really did happen."
Anne Enright, The Gathering

"My name is Robinette Broadhead, in spite of which I am male."
Frederik Pohl, Gateway

"I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975." Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner

"Don't call me a fairy. We don't like to be called fairies anymore."
Keith Donohue, The Stolen Child.

I think I might go with The Stolen Child, which is Keith Donohue's first novel. Scotland on Sunday calls it "sparklingly quirky... wistfully elegiac". Promising.

No comments: