Monday, February 23, 2009

Sunday Night Dinner



It was a day for clearing out the fridge. So I got out the half-portion of minced beef I had frozen earlier in the week (the other portion had gone into a pasta sauce) and with a bit of mozzarella and another bit of cheddar, the best thing I could come up with was taco rice, which I first had with DSD at Nirai Kanai, an Okinawan restaurant in Singapore. I found a recipe online and decided to adapt it, partly because the pantry was lacking in onions (used a shallot) and I substituted some other herbs (dried oregano, cumin powder and chilli flakes) for the ones in the recipe. We decided to use up the cheese so it was far more than a cup (but I must say, extra cheese is always a plus).

Then there was the soup - in it went two carrots, the remainder of my celery (about 3 ribs I guess), the leftover broccoli, a garlic clove, a shallot. Chopped them up, tossed it in the pot with some oil, let it soften, threw in some water and tomato paste, seasoned it up with salt, pepper, Italian herbs, dried oregano, Worcester sauce, simmered the whole concoction before using the immersion blender, then threw in a bit of milk, brought it back up to a boil.

As for the guacamole, also another first attempt, and I had a peek at this recipe before realising that I didnt need to pop out for sour cream (as I always thought guacamole required). I didn't have any chilis and I used a shallot instead. R thinks I overdosed on the cilantro but I am a cilantro-lover, so to me it was heaven.

No comments: