Friday, May 22, 2009

Snack trip



We've got an early start tomorrow so I made some snacks for the road trip. First up, some oatmeal raisin cookies (using the recipe from the oatmeal tin - surprisingly rather good and mmm.... chewy).

And a butter cake. Google pointed me to this recipe over at Rasa Malaysia, which in turn came from About.com.

I didn't quite follow the (rather vague) instructions, because, as my mom always said: wet ingredients first, then the dry. So that's what I did. More specifically, blended the butter till soft, added the sugar, blended that a bit more with the electric hand mixer, then added the eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Then sifted the flour, baking powder and salt into the wet ingredients. And mixed that all by hand (my hand mixer's 'low' speed is an underestimation of its power - 'low' is hardly low at all). And about 53 minutes later, butter cake. The smell of baking lingered for most of the afternoon. And as I settled down to a slice of cake and a cup of tea, I realised that this was the taste, the texture, the comfort that I had been hungering for for most of the week, I just didn't know it.

No comments: