Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Movie Mania

I have been on a movie-watching mania these few days.

It all started with Legally Blonde 2 last friday and then Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl on Sunday.
A couple of movie previews were on during the next two days so I got to watch a touching Korean movie called My Teacher, Mr Kim on Monday and a somewhat different American (obviously non-Hollywood) film called Camp, which is essentially about a group of teens who attend a theatre camp during the summer but also tries to embrace various issues like teenage sexuality ie homosexuality.

And today, saw Turn Left Turn Right starring the very delicious Takeshi Kaneshiro (who was i kidding when I said he doesn't look good with that floppy girly hair....he does!) and Gigi Leung. The movie's based on an illustrated book by Jimmy Liao or something like that. It was definitely hyped up a lot here, mostly cos it's co-produced by Mediacorp''s Raintree and the two stars did make a rare trip to Singapore.

But I was disappointed. It was trying too hard and the harder it tried, the more 'Oh man!' it got. What I mean is that, the show is all about destiny and coincidences and how this guy and this girl are destined to meet and yet they never meet although they're staying steps away from each other. So it gets painful (that's where the Oh man! remark comes in) when they pass each other and not notice or they miss each other in the lift or the train or the park or the bridge.....

I felt that another show that i've watched recently put forward this idea or issue about fate and destiny better and that was My Sassy Girl. If i explained it, I'd have to reveal quite a bit of the story so will just say, go rent or buy the dvd/vcd of My Sassy Girl. it's definitely worth it.

No comments: