Thursday, October 02, 2003

where does the time go?

It's been a busy week at work for me. On top of the usual stuff like copyediting, copytasting, putting up pictures, checking the mainsite and managing my site, I've been working on three preview/reviews (have to call them that as we still use the Lifers reviews) and doing this timeline on Mahathir! (woohoo - everyone's favourite prime minister!)

It is of course for his stepping down this month. Hope i can get it done on time. Might have to go borrow something from the library! And read up on him!!!

Movies this week
I've already mentioned the American Wedding one i saw on Monday.

On Wednesday i caught Seabiscuit, which was a truly amazing show. Of course there were parts that didn't work but I liked it on the whole and that Chris Cooper, he's just amazing!! I really admire his acting and am very glad he won the Oscar for Adaptation altho i didn't get to watch that.

In Seabiscuit he plays the somewhat reclusive horse trainer. Very quiet, reserved, easygoing guy, he somehow comes across the best among the three. (the others are Tobey Maguire as the jockey and Jeff Bridges as the owner)

On the whole a fantastic film. Even if you're NOT into horses or racing and all that, it's a definite must-watch!!

I did get to see Matchstick Men last night. It's the latest from Ridley Scott, if you would believe. Yep the guy who made Gladiator, Hannibal and Black Hawk Down makes a non-action film. It's one of those con job films. NOt as snazzy as Ocean's Eleven but it was pretty good.

Nicolas Cage and Sam Rockwell star as the 'con artistes', as they like to be called. They do small time con -- cheating people out of hundreds of dollars at a time. And decide to go for the big time, which could net them 80Gs.

But then there's the problem of Angela, Cage's new-found daughter.

So he brings her along and teaches her a thing or two.

To not spoil it all, let's just say that the ending is a little convoluted but it works out well in the end.

The person i really liked in the movie was Sam Rockwell. I've never seen him act before, at least I don't think so. He was supposed to have been real good in Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind, which was his big break i believe. Should try to get my hands on that DVD along with a whole slew of other stuff.

Scorsese on Scorsese
After reading this book, I realise there are so many films that I have not seen! And that I should see.

I would go out and get the DVD/VCD. With prices falling it's not too expensive. But what I don't want is to spend money on it, go home and watch it and find out that the censorship board have been a little too eager (as usual) with that trimming shears.

I'd like to say more but this blog's getting too long and I"m getting hungry.

No comments: