Thursday, August 18, 2005

under the table and dreaming

After reading Stephanie Klein's blog entry on about what's on her bedside table, here's what's on mine.

One of those ice cube lamps from Ikea which unfortunately doesn't really cast good light and I suppose will eventually wear my eyes out since I read before I sleep; my iPod in its dock (and hooked up to the crappy hi-fi that's on the dressing table); an alarm clock set to go off at 10 but I never turn it on cos hey, I don't have to get to work until 4 so what's a half hour more; and whatever it is I'm currently reading.

At the moment its the July issue of Gourmet and Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential and until this morning, Seabiscuit. Since I've picked up Nell Freudenberger's Lucky Girls to read at work, I suppose that'll go on the pile next.

This bedside table has a couple of drawers too, which hold a couple of journals, some pens, some jewellery, sunglasses, various souvenirs from recent concerts eg the setlist of My Morning Jacket's concert in Melbourne (which I didn't see but it was a gift) and a Radiohead concert ticket. There's also a little jewellery box I got as a birthday present from a primary school classmate as well as this cute butterfly bookmark that another classmate had given me - too nice to use. (plus nowadays I tend to use my namecards to mark my place in books)
Along with that is a gorgeous blue spectacle case I've never used and if I'm not wrong was a gift from an ex. And in another case, my first pair of spectacles, which I got when I was 12 and probably wore for a couple of years before ditching them for a nicer looking pair and then contacts when I was in Sec 3.

Speaking of which, I had been rummaging another drawer for a pearl necklace I remember my grandparents had given me, and came across my Sec 4 class photo. Made me wonder where my classmates are doing now, since I kinda lost contact, unfortunately, with most of them.

I go pearl-hunting and I end up finding teenage memories.

No comments: