Thursday, March 02, 2006

take a walk

Ever so often, I get rostered to help out with a food delivery by the Slumbering Gal. It involves a bit of a walk down to this fishhead curry stall in another lorong of Toa Payoh, pick up a takeaway portion of fish curry, and a walk back towards the office to a nearby HDB block to send off the food to its waiting recipient, Mr Jai.

I like the walk. It gives me some time to clear my head, breathe in some relatively fresh air and have a look around the Toa Payoh estate. And watch as the evening light fades and shadows grow long. I like to look out for the cats that wander one of the blocks - I've seen this delightfully tubby white one and yesterday there was a jet black cat gazing out from its hideout among a few pots of flowering plants.

And I usually leave the fishhead curry stall amused.

I stop by the curry counter, and ask the Malay stall assistant for a takeaway portion. He dishes it out and I hand over $10 to another worker behind him. The young guy brings it over to the cashier but doesn't give me my change, instead this Chinese guy, forehead always glistening slightly with sweat, walks over from behind the other counter to personally hand over the change. Sometimes, if he spots me in time, he will call out my order to the guy dishing out the curry. Sometimes he even comes over to collect the money from me. Always with a slight smile on his face.

As I waited for Mr Jai to open the door, I wonder: If election forms were to allow space for voters to write down their reasons for voting opposition, perhaps Toa Payoh residents would write:
-"Because your HDB painted my block fuschia and lemon yellow! I look like I live in a damn playschool!"
-"Because when I was driving home, I almost got into an accident as I had to swerve when temporarily blinded by the clashing colours!"
-"Because I almost fell out the window when hanging out the clothes, having gazed momentarily at the violently painted block opposite!"

Yes, I am very free. Yes, I should expend my energies elsewhere. But wouldn't you miss me?

Listening: Brendan Benson - Pledge of Allegiance

1 comment:

Dawn said...

ooo...i'm so glad you enjoy the walk. i'm always worrying that you guys will be finding it a chore to walk that distance! i like walking around toa payoh too. ever seen those funny sculptures somewhere uhm...along the stretch you have to walk when going to the stall? think they represent the 12 zodiac animals. really tacky, but so, well, toa payoh :)