Tuesday, November 14, 2006

excess baggage

Britain's environment minister Ben Bradshaw urged shoppers to dump excess packaging at supermarket tills
Mr Bradshaw said it was "unacceptable" that packaging had increased by 12% between 1999 and 2005, and now accounts for one-third of an average household's total waste.


The Guardian takes him up on it

I have noticed that supermarkets like M&S like to wrap stuff up, for example, four apples on a plastic tray and covered with plastic wrap! How ridiculous. But I am indeed guilty of bagging bananas and picking up mini trays of peas. But sometimes there's no choice. I try to make up for it by bringing my own canvas shopping bag instead of lugging two or three plastic bags back. But sometimes I have to make a stop at the store after school and end up with plastic bags.

The situation was really far worse in Singapore where I just never thought abt the numerous bags I used. Everything would be bagged at checkout and popped into the car. Here, where I have to bag it myself and lug it all home, a 10 minute walk away, these things matter more.

No comments: