Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Read: Jack of Fables by Matthew Sturges and Bill Willingham





I've been enjoying the Fables series but my reading has currently been stalled at the fourth book, March of the Wooden Soldiers, as the next installment, The Mean Seasons has apparently been forgotten by some library user - the online catalogue says it's been due back since mid-September!

So I gave another graphic novel a try. I picked up Ex Machina: First Hundred Days by Brian K. Vaughan, Tony Harris and Tom Feister. And I wasn't quite convinced that this was the graphic novel for me.

The husband (he's been reading Fables too) and I even hit the Barnes & Noble to see if they had a copy of The Mean Seasons. But no luck there either! And we ended up reading Serenity: Those Left Behind, which bridges the gap between the Firefly series and the Serenity film.

So when I hit the library this week, I picked up Jack of Fables, which stars Jack (of And The Beanstalk fame), and although I was initially doubtful (Jack isn't exactly my favorite of Fables characters), ended up enjoying the first two installments.

In The (Nearly) Great Escape, Jack is caught and imprisoned in a community where Fables go to be forgotten by the Mundies (or Mundanes, i.e. us). The best part of this was meeting fables that were not in the main Fables series, such as Humpty Dumpty, Mother Goose, and the Turtle and the Hare. Jack of Hearts had two different story arcs. In the first, Jack tells of his romp as Jack Frost. In the second, Jack heads to Las Vegas for some fun (and of course, gets into some trouble).

The thing about Jack is that this series doesn't have that whole entourage of great characters (Snow White! Rose Red! Bigby!) that the Fables series does. It's been a good ride so far, and I'm going to pick up more of the Jack books, but I'll be looking wistfully at the rest of the Fables books, waiting for Mean Seasons to be back in stock.

Buy these books from Amazon (I am an Amazon Associate)

No comments: