Friday, October 21, 2005

Fridge-it

How did people ever live without fridges?

I suppose marketing was then (and for some it still is) an everyday affair. Wake up, go to the market, pick out some fresh produce, fresh seafood, fresh meats, for lunch, dinner, supper. And I suppose snacks and what not. Breakfast would probably have been leftovers from the night before.

But these days, who has the time to take a trip to the market everyday? My mum goes on Sundays and stocks up for the week. Perishables get thrown into the freezer and fridge. If we need anything else, there's the little dump of an ntuc within walking distance. Cold storage jelita's also a quick drive away.

The fridge was in a mood the past few days.

The freezer was hardly one. It felt more like Singapore on a rainy night. Barely breezy. The fridge was of course far worse.

Butter was turning liquid, cheese getting runny, chocolates were warm and cloying. Luckily the usual supply of ice-cream had not been replaced.

I decided it was time to finish the last piece of my now warm fudge cake. The fudge is still in the fridge though, ready for any emergency. (I highly recommend stocking up chocolate fudge in the fridge - highly satisfyingly sweet and horribly bad for you, it's saccharin equivalent of a good many shots of your favourite alcohol, without the next day hangover. And it's easy to make. Just make sure you use plenty of good quality dark chocolate.)

When I got home last night, I opened the fridge and a gust of cold wind poured forth. The milk was once again chilled and the fruits crisp and cool.

So thank you repairman, whoever you were.

Woxy is playing Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Follow You Into The Dark

No comments: