Sunday, December 04, 2005

Dining out: Miss Clarity Cafe

I decided I'd just write about this anyway.

Thursday night dinner was at Miss Clarity Cafe at Purvis Street, after having read about it sometime ago on various local food blogs and just wanting to go have a peek (plus was trying not to spend too much money)

Food's cheap - we took the $8.80 set that comes with soup, main course and dessert. So at that price I wasn't expecting anything fantastic. The food was decent. The fish and chips were not bad - although, honestly the kopitiam near the office does a fantastic dory fish and chips for only $5 - and so was the pork roulade, (essentially pork wrapped around two sausages and coated with batter and deepfried) which came with grilled slices of potatoes and a bed of cabbage/carrots mixture that kinda looked more like it belonged on a hospital tray. Still, it wasn't too bad for a cheap dinner.

My issue was more with the Barbie look of the place. It was a bit too cotton candy for the likes of me. Colourful - and when I say colour, I mean pastels - tables, colourful walls. All bright and cheery. The kind of place that would appeal to a 10 year old girl who aspires to be Barbie or well, Paris Hilton - ok maybe not, it's not trashy or anything. But just saccharine sweet. Blindingly saccharine sweet.

So after we were done with dinner, I made sure to go somewhere that was a little less pink. Somehow we ended up at Father Flanagan's at Chijmes for a Guinness and a cider. Sitting outside, we could hear the strains of what seemed to be music from the band inside. The singer wasn't terrible but he wasn't good either. I'm really being nice. I don't know why - maybe cos I was a tad bit bitchy about the previous place. Ok, the truth was the singer didn't sound any good. He couldn't hit the high notes. We heard them play U2's Angel Of Harlem earlier on and after that, they'd stopped. I thought thank heavens, but sometime later, they started up again - and did Angel Of Harlem all over. Had to leave before my ears started bleeding.


Miss Clarity Cafe
5 Purvis Street
Tel: 6339 4803

Father Flanagan's
#B1-06 Chijmes
30 Victoria Street

No comments: