Saturday, February 25, 2006

I also go to cheaper places to eat ok

Porridge isn't just for when you're sick.

Yeah so it goes down easily and all but I think you're thinking of those really plain and simple porridges where it's just flavoured with some meat or some fish. Hospital food.

The porridge I'm talking about is Taiwanese porridge - hearty stuff, with all kinds of yummy dishes that can be ordered alongside it. And I just found a place I finally am pretty happy with - and it's not too far from where I live either.

I used to make people go to Stadium Close, Tanjong Pagar and even Goodwood Park Hotel for Taiwanese porridge. For Teochew porridge there's those usual kopitiams... but that's a different type of porridge, with different dishes available, like goose meat and steamed fish.

But today, I was wanting Taiwanese porridge - the porridge that comes with pieces of sweet potato, which I think adds a little something to the watery rice. I suppose it harks back to wartime days for some people (and I don't know why I just said that) but hell I like it. And if anyone doesn't want theirs, I'll gladly take it! The trick is to smash it up in the bowl, so that it turns the porridge slightly orange and thickens it a bit.

Besides the porridge, we ordered the minced pork er cake-like thing that comes with some salted egg on top, two plates of clams, sambal kangkong and that great dish of little fish I absolutely love - the fish are deepfried till they're crispy (and till you can eat them bones and all) and cooked with a slightly sweet and spicy sauce. The dishes were all $4 each. And porridge is freeflow at 80cents. What more can you ask for?

Plus they even have kongbahbao on the menu. No wonder there were people waiting for tables outside when we left. I'm so coming back here.

Prince Taiwan Porridge
9 Cheong Chin Nam Road
(off Upper Bukit Timah Road)
Tel: 64670289

8 comments:

imp said...

this one i sure go try. i so dig the minced pork with salted egg/fish on top. heh.

RealLifeReading said...

yeah it's a must with porridge!

Anonymous said...

yay! near my place/work place!

RealLifeReading said...

oh yah! :)

Dawn said...

didn't know u call it taiwanese porridge. it's all teochew porridge to me! what you've described sounds like what i've been eating along upper serangoon road for the last two sundays - porridge with sweet potato (yum, i must have one and a half bowls), hae bee hiam, spinach cooked till it's really really soft etc...

Anonymous said...

Mmm sounds good. The one at Seven Mile isn't too bad either IMO.

Anonymous said...

just went there last weekend.

Dont ever go there anymore, they r so dirty on the food. I saw a waitress drop the omelette on the floor, the idiot lady boss actually tell the waitrress to put the egg back to the kitchen. I was near the kitchen and sure they didnt thorw the egg but USE A DIRTY CLOTH TO CLEAN N PUT IT OUT AGAIN.

They tot i didnt see!!!!! omg, dun go there again.

Anonymous said...

At this place, no GST means MUST buy hand towel???

I dined at a Hokkien cafe at Upper Bukit Timah Road and waitress insisted that I pay for the towels after I asked to return it. The manager then pointed at small fine-print note on the reverse side of the menu, right at the bottom, written in Chinese and then claimed that it says that customers are required to buy the towels.

I said that I didnt want to pay for anything that I didnt order, the manager then screamed a comment saying "Forget it! 40cts only also don't want to pay!"

If we dont pay for GST, must we really buy hand towels? And besides the bad manners, what about the fine-print written in Chinese? Are non-Chinese to be taken for a ride??