Monday, February 13, 2006

one more for the road

My fingers were itching to type something (but still minus my left index finger... amazingly the other three fingers have filled in for it quite nicely... only a few extra Backspaces needed from time to time) blog-wise at work today so here's the post, e-mailed to myself and copied and pasted just for you.

On the bus to work, riding down Lornie Road, I realise how much I enjoy this journey. The tree-lined roads, the joggers from various schools making (or giving up on) that agonising last stretch, the first-aiders and teachers stationed at the bus stops, fanning themselves in the heat. The road winds slightly, making it a nice easy drive, although most of the times I'm on this road I never get to do the driving - always being chauffeured around in that big ad-plastered bus, sometimes packed with teens headed to the reservoir, talking at the top of their voices, their sweat and heat filling the bus... when they finally get off, the air clears and cools and it goes back to normal again. And after midnight it is a different road. It is quieter, more calming. Hardly anyone walks these pavements at night. Passing the Japanese club, with its odd statue in the garden I can never quite figure out - from the back it looks dressed like a warrior but the stance looks like he's carrying a violin. Passing the hawker centre, its carpark always filled to the brim. And going by Bullfrog, I always like to see how many people are out and about, having drinks past midnight on weekdays. Usually it's a good number. Oftentimes I am tempted to tell the minibus driver to stop and let me out. But I go home, I take a shower, I pour myself a glass of cold milk, I turn on the TV to watch some rerun and let the brain dissolve into a sticky goopy mess...


And that nice goopy mess of a brain had 2 thoughts this early Tuesday morning:
1) The person who does the music for Grey's Anatomy (or is it Gray? I never know) sure likes Tegan & Sara a lot. This is the third ep I remember hearing their songs on. (btw they are a great band, and they have downloadable songs on their site)
2)Why in the world are we getting live telecasts of the Winter Olympics?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, that stretch of Lornie Road is one of the most pleasant places in Singapore. - D W

RealLifeReading said...

indeed!