Thursday, February 09, 2006

listen up

What is indie music? God I hardly know anymore.
Some people think I say "hindi music" but nope. Wrong tree there.
Other people think it's stuff that's unlistenable. That's not radio-friendly. But the truth is, a lot of it really is quite pop-ish. I like music that's got a good beat, and a great melody, and if they can throw in good lyrics, hey all the better!
Anyway, a lot of the "indie" is no longer independent anymore, is it.

So forget the radio, turn off that chatter (or at least tune into Woxy) and have a listen to some of these that I've been listening to recently. (available for 7 days)

Elbow - An Imagined Affair (off their latest album Leaders Of The Free World, Elbow's music just envelopes and leaves me breathless)

Shout Out Louds - The Comeback (Big Slippa mix)

The Lovemakers - Prepare For The Fight off Times Of Romance(with thanks to biao for this one!)

David Berkeley - Fire Sign off After The Wrecking Ships
(This one I first heard on an ep of Without A Trace and went to look it up)

Laura Veirs - Magnetized off Year Of Meteors
(great lyrics...what a song)

Mofro - Blackwater off Blackwater (I dled this off a music blog one day in the off-chance that this was a good song. It is.)

Queens of the Stone Age - I Wanna Make It Wit Chu (live) off Over The Years And Through The Woods

1 comment:

Biao said...

I'm glad at The White Stripes won Best Alternative Album although I would've been happy with The Arcade Fire as well.