Monday, September 19, 2005

EXIT MUSIC

some posts ago, while remarking on what I'd like my funeral to be like (re: Hunter S Thompson's explosive finale) I somehow missed out on the music part.

Mr Tambourine Man played as the cannon fired his ashes into the air (hopefully not on the food).

I can't really figure out what song I'd like.
(I'm not expecting to be fired up into the air, I suppose a song could be played while my ashes are being scattered.... somewhere, hmm... another thing to think about.....maybe the sea.)

But the playlist during the funeral should include the following:
Radiohead (nice dreary funeral-ish music)
Pearl Jam (just cos they're the best)
Rilo Kiley and Hot Hot Heat (to insert in between other songs, for something happy and upbeat)
Ben Folds (the genius piano man)
The Dears (for the drama of it)
Cake (for the irony in John McCrea's voice)
Flaming Lips (because they're just too cool)
Ryan Adams, especially my two favourite songs (re post below)
Teenage Fanclub and Nirvana (cos its a 90s thing)
Iron & Wine, Kings of Convenience (for something a little more downtempo)
The Observatory (my favourite local band and one of my favourite bands local or otherwise)
Elbow (because Guy Garvey has a bit of a haunting voice)
Nicolai Dunger (because he just sounds melancholy)

But as for that one song, I dont know.

Although I was recently asked what song changed my life.

For me, it was the whole grunge movement. I was a teen in the 90s and that was just perfect - you know, angsty shit.
Loud music. Hating your parents. Hating school. Trying to figure yourself out - still am.

While most people would name Jeremy as their favourite Pearl Jam song, I've always had a fondness for Alive.

But I think that might be a bit of a wrong song to play while my ashes are being scattered....

Oh i, oh, I’m still alive
Hey, i, i, oh, I’m still alive
Hey i, oh, I’m still alive
Hey...oh...


(not very much of a chorus is it, lyrics-wise... but i could never resist how Eddie Vedder sings these few words)

Back to the drawing board.

iTunes is playing Butch Walker - Thank You Note

No comments: