Sunday, July 23, 2006

weekend edition

That was my last weekend here in Sg and I must say I have been doing quite a bit of eating.

You already read my post on the lovely Teochew feast at Guan Hin (I still dream of that crispy suckling pig) on Friday.

And on Saturday, after picking up various accesories for the new Macbook at Funan with my dad, and after dropping my sis off at a class reunion at a friend's house in the east, we ended up driving (although at some points more like crawling) around East Coast Road, looking for a place to eat.

I think we were supposed to eat some porridge somewhere but ended up at Kim Choo a Peranakan place, where we had babi pong teh (pork stew), bakwan kepiting (crab and meatball soup), chap chye (mixed veg) and ngoh hiang (prawn and meat roll). Not too bad, except for some rather hard rice and bland chap chye.

On Sunday, with my Australian aunt's family in town, we went to Chin Chin Eating House at Purvis Street for some chicken rice for dinner.

And not only chicken rice, but fish maw soup, stir-fried beef with kailan, Hainanese pork chop, battered prawns and once again, ngoh hiang.

I must say I'm not exactly very impressed by the food. The ngoh hiang wasn't very tasty and instead tasted more of flour than of meat. As for the chicken rice, I always prefer the one at Wee Nam Kee at Novena. That's still the best in my book. But boy, was I full after!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you must gorge on all the local food!!! all the best for this next chapter.