Sunday, July 17, 2005

read this

People often remark about how I seem to read a lot.
I admit to being quite a voracious reader.
I usually have a minimum of two books going at one time - one for at home (maybe a hardback or a thick book too heavy or bulky to carry around) so that I can read for about half an hour before I go to sleep, and the other's for me to travel with, so that I've got something to do on buses and trains, besides listening to the iPod.
I read magazines as well, and am quite the sucker for women's mags like Cosmo and Glamour and Elle. There's also the regular Newsweek my family subscribes to and The Atlantic, which I seem to stockpile more than I read these days.
The company resource centre's a great place to borrow other magazines and international papers' supplements like The New Yorker and The Sunday Times Magazine.
I also occasionally borrow from the library (although the copies are quite old) stuff like Empire, Premiere, EW and er, Runners' World (something I hardly qualify for).

I like visiting libraries and bookstores and I check out online bookstores (like my favourite Powells - I have dreams of one day heading to Oregon to worship at this great store) as well as websites and online book sections in papers.
I buy books and borrow books even though I have plenty yet unread at home.

The library I frequent has to be Queenstown, especially since they decided to lengthen operating hours and not close at a ridiculous 4 (or was it 5?) on Sundays as they used to.
It's a great library as it's less than 10min away from home by car, has free parking and the shelves are well stocked with books.
Although I'm terribly fond of the Orchard library as well (what a fantastic location to rest after being all shopped-out) the books there tend to be too well-read and magazines are always in high demand.

But as much as I like libraries, I find it hard to stay there for long.
It amazes me the way people will hang out and read books for hours at a time. I only do that occasionally, and prob only for 1/2 hr max, when waiting for people.

I love to browse in libraries, even when I've reached my borrowing limit and am lugging four books in one hand.
But while I cannot wait to sit down and read these books, I'd really rather take them home, where I can relax and take my time.

I read in bed, I read in the living room with the TV on, I sometimes read on my rides to work and even at work sometimes. I read by the swimming pool after having done my laps.

I can't go on a trip without bringing a book. And even though I get home at 2am, and sleep at 3, I still need to read a little before turning out the light.

I want to work in a bookstore and buy books.

So hello folks, my nick is olduvai and I'm addicted to reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wowie. i want to read as much as you do. but i is the slowest reader around. booo hooo hoooooo.